Do you have a background in technology / web development, and are you interested in social projects and education? Join us at Migracode Barcelona, the first code academy for refugees and migrants in Barcelona. Make a difference for our students by using both your technical and social skills as our MigraCode Educational Supervisor.
Open Cultural Center is a non-profit organisation that carries out various projects with migrants and refugees in Spain and Greece. One of our largest projects in Barcelona is MigraCode, a code academy/bootcamp where students with a migration background and limited access to the labour market can participate in free tech education, powered by a huge volunteer community. We offer an 8-month fullstack web development course with the main goal of finding job opportunities for our graduates.
What will you do?
For this role, we are looking for someone who will be involved in the many education-related activities of MigraCode Barcelona. This person will also carry out some project management tasks that are related to our collaboration with INCO Academy and Google for our IT Support and Security course.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT TASKS
- Overseeing the INCO program and managing contact with our program partners (INCO Academy, Coursera & Google).
- Participating in Google events and other partner events to represent Open Cultural Center as partner in our collaboration with INCO Academy
- Writing regular reports documenting and explaining our process and results
- Scheduling regular communication materials to ensure project visibility.
- Participating in recurring meetings with our partners and our main contact at INCO Academy
- Supervising our active students This includes continuous coaching to students who need it, attendance registration, checking homework and keeping track of overall course progress of each student from our various courses
- Revising student homework This includes giving feedback to them on a weekly basis
- Participating in the weekly class activities These consist of one weekday evening session online, and one Saturday morning or afternoon in-person session (the participation by our team can be rotated among team members)
- Overseeing and processing new applications for the MigraCode courses.
- Being part of the onboarding of new students This involves one-to-one sessions with students who enrol in our courses.
- Linking students to mentors This includes keeping track of the progress of these mentorship teams and managing issues
- Organising soft skill training sessions This involves finding trainers, and making sure that all students eligible for these sessions are joining.
- Organising and managing additional masterclasses for students from our different courses
What do we offer?
- Monthly netto salary of €1200 (40hs a week)
- An opportunity to work in the heart of a social, migrant-tech community with many connections in the tech industry
- Many possibilities to develop your own social and tech skills, by interacting with our voluntary instructors who are all professional developers, and by working closely with our diverse group of students
- A flexible schedule and the opportunity to work remotely when needed with the exception of 3 Saturday classes/month, 2 weekly office days and two team meetings a week
- An opportunity to work in an intercultural team consisting of employees, volunteers and external partners
- The possibility to join transnational meetings with partner NGOs throughout Europe
- The possibility to follow our fullstack web development course in case you want to refresh your coding knowledge
- Possibility of growing within our organisation to project management positions
What are the job requirements?
- Have at least some project management experience including report writing experience
- Have good skills in Excel/Google Sheets and preferably also in other Project Management tools such as Trello and Slack
- Have strong social skills to adjust and understand the often difficult situations that our students face while taking part in our programs, and to always interact in a patient, empathic and understanding manner
- Have an advanced level of English and Spanish
- To be flexible, proactive and open-minded: we work in a fast-changing environment and you have to be capable to adjust to sudden changes and new developments
- Speaking Catalan is a big advantage
- Experience in education and/or the social sector is preferred
- At least basic understanding of Node, React and Databases (or in comparable coding languages) is preferred
HOW TO APPLY?
Just fill this form in the best way possible: https://airtable.com/shrL2jvRowsOx1QXl.